September 3, 2013

Discovering the Details Behind the Blade

So, the newest development on Shadow Whispers?

Weapons.

I wanted to figure out how guys think; to be more accurate in my writings, you know? And, inevitably, the conversation became a lecture about swords. See, I asked what kind of weapon my friend would use in battle, and he immediately asked what kind of battle.

"Inside of a palace," I answered.

"So close quarters? How many people are there on my side? What about the enemies?"

After a few more questions, he decided on a falchion. Of course, I gave him a blank stare and attempted to listen as he went over the benefits of a falchion verses a rapier verses a long sword. Some of the other boys tried to challenge his choice and pointed out other weapons that could be just as efficient, but he promptly shut them down with a torrent of words that I did not understand in the least.

(For those of you who are like me and have no idea what a falchion looks like, here you go. I'll help you out so that you don't have to feel as lost as I did.)

We moved on to the next class, and just as I was preparing to walk home, he came running up with a folded piece of paper. "You looked really lost when I was telling you about the falchion, so I drew you a picture of all the weapons I might use in a close quarter fight."


Along with the picture came a two page description of the history of swords and the benefits and flaws of different swords. Needless to say, I realized that my brief mentions of "he grabbed a sword" just wouldn't cut it anymore.

And so, the new challenge begins. Weapons.

I can't even remember how many questions I've come up with to ask this friend, and he has very graciously come up with answers to all of them. In fact, he stayed up past midnight chatting over Facebook while I argued with myself over how much sword knowledge I needed to add.

Did I mention he even figured out the perfect weapon for my sorcerer? And helped me choose a name for the Steward's sword?



Basically, this incorporating weapons is extremely tedious and a lot of going back and changing what I already wrote. But, I really think it's worth it, and it's actually really exciting to learn all of these details that I never would have noticed if not for the Whisperers.

It's been really entertaining learning all of this. I even borrowed a book on swords and have been spending more time on Google. Though of course my friend is still the easiest source, and I think he's at least mostly accurate. I hope so, at least.


And, there you have it. The newest challenge, which I have accepted with my armor on, my shield at the ready, and my katzbalger lifted for attack.





No comments:

Post a Comment